Translate

Search This Blog

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
P. B. Shelley

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Happy Halloween

Halloween comes from the ancient times of Sanhain according to Celtic tradition. It is a special time of harvest and renewal. Supposedly the air becomes more transparent and we can communicate with the dead, even help them on to Paradise. This is the time when my daughter was born. She almost came on Halloween but we managed to postpone false labor till well after these celebrations.
I spent this weekend thinking about my grandmother, an artist who was the first to teach me about color and technique, my grandfather who instilled some wisdom and gave me some worthwhile advice, and my beloved father who left a legacy to guide me through life even though he couldn't be here. I miss all three terribly.
I've been having dreams about other relatives who aren't here anymore, great aunts and uncles. They made the family full, fun and I miss them too.
Now I am going to spend Halloween with my mother. We are going to a fun and mysterious show in Carmel, CA for the Eve. Both of us are going dress up but wear our Halloween socks. LOL!! It's one of the few years I didn't decorate and won't spend in costume with refreshments laid out for neighbors and scary little folks demanding payments in candy for leaving the premises and self intact.
Spending the day with the children celebrating the coming of the Day of the Dead filled that void.
Halloween actually goes on for several days... All Hallowed Eve or Halloween, All Saints Day, and Day of the Dead.
Time to think of our loved ones who have left us and this earth. Time to pray for their souls.

No comments: