Translate

Search This Blog

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
P. B. Shelley

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Advent in Adventures


Trying to save the title of my blog in different places, I found the advent part of adventures. What a root word! I found this definition in Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary...

Pronunciation: 'ad-"vent, chiefly British -v&ntFunction: nounEtymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin adventus, from Latin, arrival, from advenire1 : the period beginning four Sundays before Christmas and observed by some Christians as a season of prayer and fasting2 a : the coming of Christ at the Incarnation b : SECOND COMING3 not capitalized : a coming into being or use

Not that advent and certainly Advent has anything to do with adventures, but I often describe my spiritual life as adventures and having to do with the 1 b the Second Coming of Christ. I had never seen the correlation before.

So with that the Advent season is upon us. And to begin celebrating I took down the fall decs and bought some fresh potted flowers. A beautiful delicate lavendar pink Christmas cactus with many buds to bloom over the month, and a gorgeous tiny salmon colored tea rose plant with several buds ready to bloom there. I don't think I will have any poinsetta this year, although I love that plant too, red, white and pink.

Yes, Advent is upon us and I see twinkling yards of lights at night here and there as ambitious homeowners have already decorated their houses and yards. I love to go around to see what is happening. This year I will try some night photography with my new Canon Powershot.

Advent is a time of prayer and fasting. I am reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren which makes a wonderful daily devotional. It is truly a giving back experience. I recommend this reading for a rich reward.

Last night I watched Rick Steves Christmas in Europe on PBS and it was almost like being there for seeing how all of Europe celebrates Christmas. It was really a good lesson on how Europe Christianized around this holiday and changed with Martin Luther. I know some people in this country can't handle Santa Claus and Christmas. Only Jesus can be celebrated. I love St. Nicholas and for me he is part of Advent.

I redesigned my website with Christmas decorations for Thanksgiving. That was all I could do. But the Spirit of Christmas is growing. I have played one Christmas CD but I am sure that will change. Maybe it is time to find some new Christmas music as well.

I love it...new life at this 2,000 year old celebration. And a looking forward to His Second Coming!

No comments: