Translate

Search This Blog

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
P. B. Shelley

Thursday, October 26, 2017


Halloween approaches which has turned into a 4 day holiday plus weeks of advance fright shot into the atmosphere. I know one little girl only 7 years old that is turned off this year, doesn't want to trick or treat or dress up in a costume. She doesn't like to talk about it either. 
I am almost at that point as well. The horror of the massive hurricanes that struck Texas and Florida where I have relatives and friends, the terror of the aftermath in Puerto Rico, and near home the California fires have all brought me to a breaking point.

The fires of Northern California are closest to me, especially since I plan on moving to Sonoma County. I slipped into my own trauma, melting down at the dentist office to be sent home because I was so frightened by what was happening only 2 hours away. My county shut down schools and it was hard to breathe for days. I can't imagine the toxicity of the air in Santa Rosa, all over those beautiful northern counties. Wine country, full of ambiance and good will on fire.

I read many personal stories, heartbreaking, and who can forget the courage and bravery of our first responders as they saved people and faced the fires to extinguish them in whipping wind. Racing fires that jumped and raced ahead, people unable to outrun them. 
Today they say the fires will be extinguished by Friday, tomorrow. Before Halloween, the Day of the Dead. People are returning to the joy they were spared or the sorrow of losing their home and lifelong memories. 

We all have been witnessing the amazing community of these counties as they pull each other up. How they are there for one another is a life affirming experience. That is why I wanted to move to our wine country. The community is so genuine and thoughtful and sweet. Now I know it has been tested by fire and it will be even deeper than ever.

Sonoma Strong!

No comments: