Translate

Search This Blog

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
P. B. Shelley

Monday, June 12, 2006

My guitar...



I was laying in bed thinking around 6:30 am this morning and the phone rang. It was mother and she wanted to stay an extra day with her old friends and some of our relatives. I said of course there was no problem on my side of things, I could pick her up at the airport the next day. She said she would call the airline and find out how much it would cost her. In minutes she was calling back with an exhorbitant rate so that was that. I will pick her up mid-week as planned. I could tell by her voice that she is having a grand time.
Well all that put me in a mood. (It's nice to have one once in awhile) I decided to finish what I needed for my guitar. I just love it, a classic Fender that smells so good like fine wood, polished to the hilt. I had a strap to attach and needed some pics and also wanted to find a good songbook.
There is a guitar store near where I live that I have always wanted to go see and today was such a day. I had to put gas in the car and run a few other errands and then to this wondrous shop. When I got there I found it was actually 2 buildings and one was for rentals and lessons. The other sold the instruments and other musical accessories. Drums greeted me and then I went straight to the young lady at the counter. She helped me immensely.
We decided not to put a peg in the fine wood of my guitar just for a strap. Instead, she showed me the classic guitar strap that just clips onto the body of the instrument and goes around the neck. I found a couple of Fender pics and then wandered over to the music racks. It took awhile but I found something that fit what I needed, simple rock and roll scores with strumming patterns and a few chords. I've been learning blues guitar and fingerpicking but I didn't have any sheet music to simply play. Now I could relax and strum and sing! It's why I bought the guitar.
The young clerk was so helpful and when I asked if they had any keyboards she pointed to how to get upstairs. I could leave my things behind the counter. I wandered through rows of beautiful gleaming guitars and then up a winding staircase lit with colored lightes. There were wonderful Rolands and I found a perfect piano in a rosewood cabinet. It was a Casio and on sale. I'm not sure but I know I want it, just don't know how or when.
So, that was the happiness so far today. My mother is enjoying her reunion with family and friends back in the midwest and I am renewing my musical connections. On the way home I played her Woody Herman cds and thought my dad was in the car! How amazing life can be!

No comments: