Translate

Search This Blog

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
P. B. Shelley

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

3 Important Environmental Things (for my birthday this month!)

There're 3 things this month, environmentally, that are important to me. 



The first is my state of California instituting a large expanse of underwater marine parks to be protected. YIPPIEE!!!


It is actually an extension of already established California Underwater Parks.

Second is the Farm Bill being voted on in the Senate today. I will be blogging about the outcome of this important bill to our food supply.


Third is the UN's Environment Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil called Earth Summit 2012 or Rio +20


More on this later also.

This is my 65th birthday and I am actually looking forward to celebrating because it seems to be a natural milestone. I still have many projects that will occupy me for at least another 5 years but I do know I have slowed down in some respects but introspection has increased rapidly so maybe there is a tradeoff. I like the wisdom and perspective that comes with reaching this age even though I don't have any gray hair I know I have lived long, maybe longer than I thought I would. I played an 80 year old woman dying and burying herself in a symbolic sandbox when I was 17. The angel of death hovered over her shoulder and her dominating daughter nagging on the other side hurrying her along. It was Tennesee Williams theater of the absurd one act, The Sandbox, highlighting the up and coming Medicare program for seniors. I did my own makeup and channeled my persona based on a couple of elderly women who were in my childhood. I did my own makeup. To my surprise, no one recognized me and even my brother complimented me on my characterization and acting. 

I was already an environmental thinker. I have physical problems due to our toxic environment but the world is so much more awake than back in 1965 when I was a 17 going on 80 year old!  

No comments: